Monday, April 18, 2011

What Are We Reading Now? - First and Ten by @Nolebucgrl



First and Ten By @nolebucgrl
Review by eli-21



Here I was in the big time, and I was about to take my first steps into the locker room to interview the one and only Edward Cullen.


I’m going to give you some advice: ignore that quote. Why? Because this story starts with what would work perfectly as a one-shot, but then goes back to where it all began. A.k.a The most interesting part. I’m not sure the author said this at first, but I would have liked to know before I went to read chapter two  and she said, “So we're going back in time a couple months to show how Edward & Bella first met.” Yeah, I would’ve liked to start there. I mean, we know they’re (probably) going to end up together, but I’m one of those readers who skip the prologue because it shows something I don’t need. Or maybe it’s just me? Anyway, I’m just saying… if you want to start at the beginning, skip chapter one. If you’re looking for a hot O/S read it, and whenever you’re ready for a long-chaptered story, go to chapter two. Easy, right?

Now let’s get to it!

I love sports-related fics. First & Ten starts with a romance that leads to the moment when Edward, “hottest quarterback in the league”, and Bella, who’s “stuck covering high school sports and stat checking” for the Arizona Republic, meet in a crowded club. Of course, that night doesn’t end very well, but the next day starts way better.

What I really like about this story is its main characters, Edward and Bella. He’s not your typical man-whore quarterback, and she’s not the usual weak and fragile or traumatized girl. First & Ten runs in both points of view, which gives us a good opportunity to know both characters and the way they interact with the others.

Author Nolebucgrl uses another character in the most intelligent way. Emmett is usually the best friend of the reader, the guy who everyone loves, and First Ten’s Emmett is no exception. He’s so hilarious, calling Edward names. And not just any names. “For every photo shoot and fawning article, Emmett managed to find yet another nickname for me. Besides those two—Heisman and Most Beautiful—, I was GQ, Cosmo, Playboy (though of course it was Playgirl that wanted me to pose, I'd shot that down right away), Harper's Bazaar… you name it, Emmett was on top of it. I think he subscribed to every magazine that might print my picture just for fodder.” Like I said: hilarious.

So the point is to follow the story and reach the scene in Chapter 1 again, but in the opposite point of view, then continue with the story. There’s also an Emmet-take at the end. Good fun! Enjoy this story, and don’t forget to review and tell Nolebucgrl I sent you.

No comments:

Post a Comment