Friday, September 17, 2010

Author Spotlight: Amelie Gray





Beyond the Seventh Circle
by Amelie Gray
Main Characters: Edward (‘Hadesward’) and Bella Swan (‘Mutella’)
Genre:
Rating: M


Summary: "He looked down and watched as her toes curled nervously in their rainbow-striped socks, and he knew right away he shouldn't trust her." The scene is laid. The innocent girl, at the mercy of a dark creature with an uncontrollable blood lust. But is it really that simple? Rated M for subject matter, language and (hopefully) some future encounters of the citrusy kind.

1. How did you come up with the idea of your story?

It has a sort of interesting background – well, at least to me. Earlier this year, I was on Twitter, bored with nothing to do and looking for a new idea to give my writing a jump start. I sent out a tweet asking for anyone to send me a prompt of some sort – a word, a picture or even a few song lyrics – and in return, I’d spin it out for them as their very own gift!fic.

It was kind of presumptuous, considering the fact that I hardly knew anyone at the time. Surprisingly though, YellowGlue – an author I had met through the Black Balloon Contest, after she was one of the only people who reviewed my (less than impressive) entry, Ophelia – answered back with the single sentence that begins the first chapter of BTSC:

“He looked down and watched as her toes curled nervously in their rainbow-striped socks, and he knew right away he shouldn’t trust her.”

I’ve always been an angst h00r from the moment I made the transition from reading fanfiction to writing it – even though I found my way into the fandom through some of the more smutty classics, notably LolaShoes’ LYLS and ALE. However, I feel that because of YellowGlue and her beautiful sentence, I found my true calling. Darkward.

It really is more beautiful in the shadows.

Besides that, this gift!fic has been the beginning and blooming of a beautiful bestie relationship with YellowGlue. What more could I ask for?

2. What are some of your favorite things reviewers have said about your story?

This took some consideration. I honestly squee (out loud, and embarrassingly squeaky) over every review that finds its way to my box – no matter how small or simple.

The reviews that are dearest to my heart are from the person that the story is written for, YellowGlue. She always manages to make me laugh, like my favorite review from her to date:

La la la
I love this story
la la la la la
I love when Bella signs. Love it.
La la la la la la la
I love that you said the words "dead baby chick essence". Disgustingly hardcore of you :)
la la la :)
this is my song for you, do you like it?
La la la la
I'm SO happy you've got so much more planned for this and I am beyond excited to see where you take it.
La la
love you :)
la la la la
think I'm done singing yet?
La la la la la la
nope.
La la la
this: "I didn't dare mention his name, even though it curled my fingers, trying to make its way out." maybe my favorite Bella image, like... Ever.
La la la la la
most people, I don't like their Bellas, but yours...
La la la
shawty you the hottest
love the way you drop it
brain so smart could'a swore you went to college :)
la la la
That was some T.I. for you lol
la la la la la
you're awesome carebear, keep up the good work :)
la la la
la
la
la :)
There are familiar names that keep coming back chapter after chapter, and I enjoy seeing their comments – particularly TwiCharmed and FL95, both of whom have gone above and beyond the call of duty in trying to bring Hadesward out into the fandom. You girls rock my socks, seriously.

One thing that makes me laugh in reviews – but in a good way – is the fact that a lot of people seem to be shocked by the fact that I’m only eighteen. Apparently, I sound older. Not sure if that’s good or bad, but I appreciate the honesty and giving me the chance to prove myself, despite my age.

3. Is there a particular character in your story that you identify with the most? 

With every story I write – original or derivative – I manage to put a little bit of myself and the people around me into the characters.

I feel a lot for Bella; stuck in a family where she is kind of the odd duck out, unable to protect herself by brute strength, but rather by cunning and trying to keep one step ahead of the predators she lures in. She has a lot of my uncertainty – albeit for completely different reasons – and I like her because she doesn’t surrender, not to Jacob and his aggressive proposals, and definitely not to Hadesward, even though she knows that he holds her life in his hands.

Hadesward… sometimes I feel as though he’s my alter-ego. He has a lot of bitterness and tries to mask it over with arrogance and a heady sort of confidence that both draws and repulses Bella from him. He swears and gluts himself and doesn’t have any morals – none of which is, fortunately, any of my traits. Basically, he’s the guy that you love to hate, and maybe I feel for him simply because of that. Even villains have their reasons for existing.

4. Is the story all planned out or is it write as you go?

I do have a loose outline of events that have to happen. It’s changed a few times since I originally began the story. I first planned it out completely – chapter by chapter – to the very end, but I didn’t really like where it left Bella or Hadesward, so I had to revise. I now have the ending in place, and a few certain plot twists that need to happen. The rest of it is just thrown in as I go along.

5. Do you have a particular process when it comes to your writing? Mood? Specific Environment? What do you do to get in the writing mood?

I’m one of those people who can’t go through the day without writing on something. Writing is my way of venting out what I’m feeling. I can write in any mood, but it takes a particularly bad day for me to get really fired up for Hadesward POV. I mean, that guy has a lot of pent-up aggression to let out. I don’t need a specific environment – just make sure no one interrupts me and let me stream my favorite music, and I’m ready for the pen.

6. Have you got any other projects going on? Any planned for the future?

Fandom wise? I have two FGB WIPs – Imperfection Squared (an Emmett/Carmen one-shot turned novella for HMonster04) and Curiouser and Curiouser (an Alice in Wonderland/Twilight crossover featuring MadHatterward for bookjunkie1975) – another WIP undergoing rewriting (Closed), as well as my first fanfiction, Wanted, that is still going through a lot of development. I’m also a bit of a contest h00r – give me a good challenge and I can’t resist.

One of my recent contest entries is Little Foxes (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6224602/1/Little_Foxes), written for the Beyond the Pale contest. I have so many things planned, and so many premises promised for people – I can’t list all those out.

Original fiction wise, I’m currently in the process of writing an original novel that I’ve been planning out for the last four years. (Yes, I’m a bit of a perfectionist) I also have another idea ready for this year’s NaNoWriMo.

7. Are you out of the closet with your Twilight love? Or do you RL friends and family know about it?

It’s complicated. From my family, only my sister knows because I know the rest of them would not approve – like, ‘you’re a disgrace’ label me as a black-sheep not approve. I told my RL best friend once, but she didn’t understand my obsession with writing that didn’t pay. At least she tries to support me when I attempt to interest her in my stories. My sister thinks it’s a complete waste of time and I’m being an idiot over Edward Cullen.

8. Do any FF authors inspire you?

SO MANY. First of all, I never would’ve gotten this far in the fandom if it hadn’t been for my admiration of LolaShoes, AngstGoddess003, and all the other wonderful authors I read during my ‘reader’ period of being in the fandom. I admire Kassiah for being my first fandom friend, and writing beautiful angst that makes me tear up every time – and for inspiring me towards OJward.

Of course, the girls in the dark are the authors that have the most effect on me – Lambcullen, Nitareality (one of my besties, an amazing author and wonderful pre-reader) and of course, my sweetie YellowGlue, whose story The Worst of Weather still makes me catch my breath and stop to think at least a hundred readings later.

9. What is your FanFic Pet peeve?

Um – anonymous flames. It’s such a pansy thing to do. Also, when you have an excellent fic on your hands, and flounce the fandom simply because you aren’t getting as many reviews as you wanted, or just lost interest. At least hand it off to someone who can finish it with the honor it deserves. And grammar. Don’t get me started on grammar.

10. Do you have other writing experience besides fan fiction?

As I mentioned before, I am currently working on a novel, and preparing for NaNoWriMo, which I participate in every year. I’m involved in a local writing group, and have had a few experience in my younger years published in childrens’ magazines. I hope that I’ll be able to publish this novel someday.

11. Shout out to your betas.

Without YellowGlue, I’d be nothing. She’s the Bonnie that inspires my Clydette, and her writing brings me nearly to tears every time I read it. She talks me off so many ledges, in fandom and RL dramas, and I can’t imagine not having her there to joke around with and swoon over Darkward – or write hilarious, smutty one-shots about Mr. Cullen and Fruity Pebbles.

I love you, pop tart.

So much.

I also couldn’t be able to write without the guidance and love of Nitareality, who has graciously agreed to being my pre-reader. She’s a wonderful, hilarious person to talk with, and she’s always there when I need her the most. I am in complete awe of how strong and beautiful this woman’s spirit is, and it’s a shame if you aren’t reading her writing.

You mean so much to me. I say it all the time, but I truly do mean it.

12. Any fic recs?

The Worst of Weather by YellowGlue

Bloody Choices by Nitareality

Tines by PortiaKhalo

13. Anything else you want to add?

Hadesward wouldn’t be anything at all if it wasn’t for the people who support me – YellowGlue and Nitareality, the readers, javamomma0921 and her lovely WCs, bookjunkie1975’s endless support, and of course the ‘Deviant girls’ Lambcullen, Aleighy and MzEll (PortiaKhalo). You guys all mean so much to me. Always.

2 comments:

  1. I'm tearing up and grinning like an idiot at the same time :)

    ily peanut butter, and am so happy you're exactly who you are.

    Hearts,
    Sarah.xxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so sweet, so talented. I'm glad you mentioned Little Foxes, it's just so genius.

    <3

    Nita

    ReplyDelete